|2016 - 2017 Faculty Senate Executive Board|
|Vice Chair||Beth Fryeemail@example.com||828-262-7623|
The purpose of the Faculty Senate is to serve as the instrument through which the faculty of Appalachian State University considers and acts on university matters. To this end, the Faculty Senate participates in the formation, implementation, and review of university policy.
The Faculty Senate shall consist of one member from each academic department, school, the library, and five at-large representatives. Any unit may choose not to fill its senate seat, in which case the seat will remain empty for that academic year. No Senator may serve more than two full terms consecutively. The normally designated term of office for Faculty Senate members is three years. Terms of members will be staggered so that one-third of the Senate are elected each year.
All Senators elected in a given year shall take office at the special meeting of the Senate in April called at the adjournment of the regular April meeting of the Senate. The Chair of the Faculty Senate shall nominate persons to fill vacancies created by unexpired terms. The Senate shall either elect or reject nominations made by the Chair. Persons so elected shall serve until the next regular election, at which time the faculty will elect a person to complete the unexpired term.
The officers of the Faculty Senate shall consist of a chair, a vice chair, a secretary, and a parliamentarian. These officers, with the exception of the parliamentarian, shall be elected from the total membership of the Senate chosen from a minimum of two names for each position nominated from the floor at the special Senate meeting in April called at the adjournment of the regular April meeting of the Senate. Candidates must give permission before their names are placed in nomination. Officers may be reelected each year for the duration of their tenure on the Senate.
The Faculty Senate shall meet as follows:
- A regular meeting of the full Senate shall be held monthly during the academic term. Summer meetings will be scheduled as needed.
- Faculty members should communicate their professional concerns to the respective Senators prior to the monthly meetings of the Senate.
- A special meeting of the Senate may be called at a designated time by the chair, by a petition signed by one-third of the total membership of the Senate, or by a petition signed by twenty-five percent of the total membership of the faculty.
CURRENT INITIATIVES & INFORMATION
- Faculty Handbook Revisions - 2016 (PDF)
- Results of Senate Survey on Policies Affecting Tenure-Line Faculty (PPT)
- P&T Taskforce Report (PDF)
- Faculty Senate Statement on Freedom of Speech - Feb. 2017
- Statement Introduced by the Faculty of the Department of Sustainable Development - April 10, 2017